101 ways you never knew you could relieve pain
Pain can be disrupting, and it can interfere with your ability to perform daily tasks. Pain is also one of the most common ailments, and it affects more people than cancer, heart disease, and diabetes combined.
Acute pain refers to pain that has a sudden onset, and the duration of the pain is limited, whereas chronic pain refers to types of pain that last longer. Long-term diseases often cause chronic pain, while the injury is usually the culprit behind the acute pain.
Pain is often treated with painkillers, which helps to reduce painful sensations and sometimes also to reduce inflammation that occurs in the affected area. The most common types of painkillers include paracetamol, NSAIDs, and opioids, but all of these have been linked to numerous side effects, including dizziness, changes in blood pressure levels, heartburn, physical dependence and allergic reactions.
To reduce pain without risking the development of these harmful side-effects, many people prefer to use a natural remedy. Natural remedies may include the use of herbs, spices, foods or even something as simple as performing an exercise.
These remedies will help to reduce pain and often the inflammation that accompanies the pain as well, without causing side-effects to develop.
101 Ways To Reduce Pain Naturally
- Ginger has been proven to reduce pain effectively and also reduce the secretion of cytokines that causes inflammation.
- Feverfew is a herb that is native to Asia and has been proven to effectively reduce the severity of migraine attacks.
- Cayenne has been used for many years as a natural remedy to reduce pain. This natural remedy is also effective in relieving pain caused by Psoriatic arthritis and similar diseases.
- Turmeric has a powerful anti-inflammatory property that has been scientifically proven to be similar to the anti-inflammatory effects of NSAIDs.
- Valerian root is an effective natural remedy for reducing the severity of premenstrual syndrome. The root can also help to reduce muscle contractions.
- White willow bark can help to reduce pain and inflammation that causes pain. This natural remedy has also been proven to provide effective joint pain relief.
- Devil’s claw is a popular plant that is used to treat pain. It is especially useful for reducing back and neck pain, as well as pain caused by Osteoarthritis.
- Tart cherries contain powerful anti-inflammatory properties and has also been proven to be an effective remedy for reducing muscle pain.
- Peppermint oil is effective when applied topically to affected areas. This oil is most effective in reducing tension headaches and assisting with lower back pain.
- Cinnamon has a positive effect on reducing muscle soreness after athletic performance. Combined with a supplement such as Traumeel, this natural remedy can provide long-term positive results.
- The “Bow Pose” is an excellent yoga pose that can be used to reduce stomach cramps that are caused by menstruation.
- Ginseng is a natural treatment that individuals with Fibromyalgia find many benefits from. It helps to reduce musculoskeletal pain and the fatigue that often accompanies the disease.
- The root of a kava kava plant, sometimes only called “kava”, is effective in treating neuropathic pain and tension headaches.
- The calming effects of lavender oil can help to relax tense muscles, reduce the severity of migraine attacks and effectively treat tension headaches.
- Rosemary oil can be used in different ways to reduce pain. For tension headaches, the vapors can be inhaled and for muscle soreness, the oil can be applied topically.
- Ginger essential oil is a powerful remedy for treating pain that are caused by certain autoimmune diseases, such as multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and lupus.
- Yarrow essential oil has anti-inflammatory properties and contains salicylic acid, which has an analgesic effect. This oil is usually applied topically to affected areas.
- Helichrysum essential oil has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also an effective pain reliever and can be applied directly to affected areas. This natural remedy is also effective in reducing pain caused by sunburn.
- Sandalwood essential oil is a powerful anti-inflammatory remedy that can also help to reduce joint pain, neuralgia and muscle pain.
- The “Cobra” yoga pose is a powerful natural remedy for relieving back pain.
- Wintergreen essential oil is applied topically to relieve muscle pain, neuralgia, and joint pain that is caused by arthritis. It is also effective for relieving a headache and for treating a sore throat.
- Many people find that the “Supported Warrior” yoga pose helps to relieve pain that is experienced in the knee. This pose can be used for acute and chronic pain.
- Eucalyptus essential oil possesses powerful anti-inflammatory properties and is especially helpful for relieving pain that is caused by sinus congestion and muscle injuries.
- Individuals who are suffering from sciatica, which affects the outer legs, hip, and back, often find that chiropractic treatments help to reduce the pain in a natural way.
- Juniper essential oil is an excellent natural remedy for relieving pain caused by hemorrhoids, indigestion, and colitis. It is also used to reduce rheumatic pain.
- Arthritis patients have found many benefits in the “Butterfly” yoga pose, especially those with arthritis in their hip. The pose provides support for the hip and can reduce painful sensations in the area.
- While Clary sages essential oil is very strong, it serves as an effective pain reduction remedy when applied topically. This oil can be used to relieve tension headaches, or applied to the abdominal area to relieve cramps and stomach spasms.
- Chiropractic treatments that involve spinal manipulation are effective for reducing back pain, especially in cases where a person has injured a part of their back.
- Clove oil is a powerful remedy to reduce toothache and can also be used to relieve throat pain. The antimicrobial effect of the oil can also help to eliminate an infection.
- Soaking in a warm bath can help to reduce muscle spasms, treat pain that is caused by muscle injuries and it is also effective for reducing pain that is caused by arthritis.
- Probiotics can be consumed in order to reduce inflammation. This is especially useful for treating pain that is caused by irritable bowel syndrome.
- Cold therapy, which can be performed with an ice pack, helps to reduce inflammation around an injured area and it can help to reduce pain.
- A warm bath with Epsom salts can help to relax muscles, thus reducing muscle pain.
- Holy basil has many benefits for the human body, including powerful anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to reduce inflammation and alleviate pain that is caused by the inflammation.
- Heat therapy, such as a heat patch or warm water bottle, can improve blood flow in the area that is painful and suppress pain signals, which can help to reduce the pain that is experienced.
- Daily exposure to sunshine (an average of 15 minutes per day) can increase vitamin D production in the body. Several studies have proven that an adequate amount of vitamin D can help to reduce pain.
- A daily walk, even if it just to the nearby shop, can help to reduce back pain. This can also help to strengthen bones and is especially useful for reducing pain that is caused by osteoarthritis.
- Arnica oil can be applied topically in order to reduce acute pain that is caused by an injury, as well as to reduce swelling that is caused by a surgery.
- Massage therapy conducted by a trained professional can help to clear up acute and chronic pain.
- Vanilla extract can be applied to a sore tooth and the surrounding gums in order to numb the area and ease the pain.
- Regular sexual intercourse has been linked to reduced headaches and less severe PMS cramps.
- Insomnia, or sleep deficiency, can increase muscle pain and several types of chronic pain. Gaining an adequate amount of sleep can help to keep pain in control.
- Drinking at least eight glasses of water every day can reduce stiffness, assist with muscle pain and be an effective way of reducing back pain.
- Stretching can help to reduce muscle stiffness and lessen the severity of the pain that is caused by muscle stiffness.
- A mixture of salt and water can be used to temporarily relieve toothache and to cleanse infected areas in the mouth.
- Borage oil can be used to reduce the severity of PMS symptoms, pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis and inflammation that is causing pain throughout the entire body.
- Boswellia extracts can be taken in capsule form in order to reduce the severity of migraine attacks and tension headaches.
- Omega-3 fatty acids have anti-inflammatory agents that can reduce inflammation. These fatty acids can also reduce joint stiffness, back pain, and pain that is caused by menstrual cramps.
- Magnesium deficiency has been linked to chronic pain and muscle cramps. Consuming an adequate amount of magnesium may help to reduce these types of pain when a person is deficient of this mineral.
- Creams that contain comfrey can be applied to painful areas in order to reduce pain. These creams are especially useful for treating upper and lower back pain.
- Blackstrap molasses is a drink that is known to effectively reduce pain that is caused by arthritis due to its rich mineral content.
- Participate in strength training exercises at least three times every week to reduce pain experienced in your legs, back, abs, shoulders, chest and arms.
- Glucosamine occurs naturally in cartilage. Taking additional supplementation of glucosamine can help to reduce joint pain that is caused by arthritis or collagen degradation.
- Swimming can help to reduce neck pain and neck pain. It is also an excellent way to improve muscle strength and relieve stress, which can contribute to reduced pain.
- Supplements that contain Gamma-Linolenic Acid can significantly reduce joint stiffness, inflammation, and pain.
- Individuals who have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis or any other type of arthritis can use extra virgin olive oil to lubricate their joints. This may also help to reduce inflammation and pain in the affected areas.
- Bone broth, which is high in Magnesium, Sulphur, calcium, glucosamine and various other compounds, can help to effective relieve joint pain and inflammation caused by different types of arthritis.
- Chondroitin is a natural substance that can be purchased as a supplement. These supplements, when taken for a long time period, can help to reduce joint pain and improve joint movement.
- A cream that contains capsicum can help to soothe the pain. It should be applied directly to an affected area and is especially useful for reducing back pain.
- The leaves of a dandelion plant possess powerful anti-inflammatory properties. It contains linoleic acid, which helps with the regulation of the body’s inflammatory responses.
- Gin, combined with golden raisins, can help to reduce inflammation and alleviate pain that is caused by the inflammation.
- Grape juice is high in pectin, which can help to reduce inflammation. This remedy is especially useful for reducing inflammation and pain caused by arthritis.
- Vitamin E supplements can provide the body with powerful antioxidant agents, which will free the body from radicals. This may help to reduce pain in arthritis patients.
- Practice Qigong on a regular basis. This traditional Chinese exercise technique can help to reduce pain by as much as 73%.
- Acupuncture can be used to relieve migraines, reduce lower back pain, treat pain that is caused by arthritis and assist in alleviating pain that occurs after surgery.
- Wild Opium Lettuce, a plant that is considered as an invasive weeding shrub, can help to effective eliminate pain when the milky sap from the leaves are extracted and consumed.
- Blue Lotus is effective for reducing migraines and muscle spasms.
- An adequate consumption of vitamin C can help to improve collagen production and protect the body from free radical damage. This can help to reduce pain and inflammation caused by rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis and other types of arthritis.
- The leaves and bark of the Eucommia tree can be used to relieve joint and back pain. It is especially useful for joint pain that affects the knees and hips.
- The compounds found in green tea can help to block the inflammatory response that is triggered by arthritis, thus reducing inflammation among patients diagnosed with arthritis and alleviating the pain that is caused by the inflammation.
- Try to eat less animals that are commercially raised as these animals are often fed foods that contain ingredients that may elevate inflammation, which may lead to an increase in pain.
- Take a break – really! We often tend to push ourselves a lot, which can cause our bodies to become tired and achy. Know when you are pushing yourself too much and take a step back.
- Putting on the radio and switching to your favorite music track can increase the amount of hormones that are involved in the human body’s pain sensitivity, resulting in a reduction of pain.
- Individuals with osteoarthritis in their knees should try to walk barefoot as much as possible. Studies have found that walking barefoot relieves 12% of the pressure that are applied to the knees while walking with shoes.
- Walnuts are high in Omega-3 and various proteins that have powerful anti-inflammatory effects and can also help to reduce pain that is experienced around inflamed areas.
- Regularly check your blood sugar levels. Normal levels of blood sugar can help to prevent or treat nerve pain that is caused by diabetes.
- Calcium is an essential mineral for healthy bones and can help to reduce pain among individuals who have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. This supplement is especially useful if a person has a calcium deficiency.
- Take a look at your diet and try to eliminate any foods that may contribute to inflammation and pain.
- Eat foods that are high in potassium if you are struggling with joint pain. Potassium plays an important role in joint health, and an adequate level of this mineral may help to reduce joint inflammation and pain.
- When you use a natural remedy that includes the consumption of herbs or spices, mix some black pepper into the mixture in order to enhance the absorption rate of these compounds. This may cause the pain-reducing effects to take action faster.
- Broccoli is high in magnesium and potassium, which may both have an anti-inflammatory effect on the human body. When inflammation inside the body is reduced, the pain that is accompanied with the inflammation is also reduced. This natural remedy is especially useful for individuals who suffer from diseases that cause chronic inflammation and pain.
- If you have back pain, you should try to sleep on your back. Use a pillow to separate your knees. This can help your muscles relax and reduce lower back pain.
- A compound that is found in red wine (as well as in berries and grapes), known as resveratrol, has been proven to help regulate pain at a cellular level.
- Practicing meditation on a regular basis can help to reduce the severity of chronic pain that is caused by long-term diseases.
- Eat some chia seeds. They contain a large amount of nutrients and compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties. Once inflammation reduces, the pain that is caused by the inflammation will start to get better as well.
- When individuals who are overweight experience joint pain, they should try to lose some excess weight in order to relief some of the pressure that the excessive weight is putting on their joints. This can help to ease the pain.
- The caffeine that can be obtained from coffee may help to reduce pain while performing exhausting tasks.
- Many people have found that hypnosis that is performed specifically for pain management helps them effectively reduce pain experienced in the lower back, as well as to treat a painful condition known as Fibromyalgia.
- Include Bok Choy, also called Chinese cabbage, in your diet. This vegetable is high in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, which may all help to reduce pain.
- Try to avoid consuming foods that are high in refined sugars. Refined sugars can promote inflammation throughout the body, which can lead to more pain.
- Include more salmon in your diet. This specific type of fish is rich in nutrients that are known to reduce inflammation and the pain that accompanies the inflammation.
- Certain compounds that are found in Thyme may help the body better deal with pain and cause a person to experience a reduced amount of pain.
- An osteopathic physician can use a technique known as Osteopathic Manipulation Therapy to reduce musculoskeletal pain. This technique is especially useful for reducing inflammation in tissue and reducing muscle spasms.
- Tomatoes are excellent in fighting against inflammation, which will also alleviate pain that is caused by inflammation.
- While water is an essential part of life, regular tap water often contains compounds that may contribute to inflammation, which may, in turn, cause pain to become worse. Try to drink as much filtered water as possible.
- Consuming foods that are high in lean protein helps to detoxify your liver from harmful chemicals throughout the day, which may help to reduce inflammation and pain.
- Cook your meat at a lower temperature. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic amines are produced when meat is cooked at a high temperature, which may cause inflammation to become worse. This may also cause pain to worsen.
- Stress can have a negative impact on pain. Try to practice some stress-relieving exercises that can help you cope better with your stress levels.
- Trans fats and saturated fats can have a negative impact on inflammation in your body. Try to consume a larger amount of unsaturated fats in order to avoid worsening your inflammation, which may cause your pain to worsen as well.
- Light that is emitted from your smartphone, laptop or tablet during nighttime can have a negative impact on your body’s internal clock, which may lead to poor sleep. This can lead to the worsening of pain and inflammation. Try to avoid using gadgets in your bedroom.
- Frankincense essential oil can help to reduce anxiety and eliminate the effects of stress. It can also help to reduce pain and inflammation at the same time.
The next time you experience a toothache, headache or any other pain, be sure to look back towards this list to find a suitable natural remedy that will help you reduce your pain.
Not only will these remedies help to lessen the pain you are experiencing, but they will not cause any of the side-effects that people often experience when they take painkillers that contain chemicals and other artificial ingredients.
A quick note from our founder-
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)